Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pinhole perspectives…minimalism.



Part of the allure of pinhole photography is the minimalist aspects of it. With a light tight box and no lens we capture images that often surprise us. At least I do. I try to keep all my accessories down to a minimum of a small table top tripod (I have several including a Minox tripod that is perfect for it’s simplicity and size.)

I also try to keep my subjects down to simple things. I think I am better at architecture with my pinholes, but I do attempt landscapes from time to time. Several of my long distance compadres like Paul Jones and Fred Stillings are not only incredible photographers but wonderful pinholographers.

If you get a chance, take a look at their work. Paul is in the midst of an exhibit right now and also makes his own 4x5 pinhole cameras. His work can be found on Flickr as Pinhole Pip. His exhibit can be seen on You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVmjYNA45Tw.

Fred (Sawtoothphoto on Flickr) is a stock photographer and his work should also be looked at and studied. You can see his beautiful landscapes at http://www.sawtoothphoto.com/. Both have a great sense of humor and huge talents.

Both of these gentlemen deserve a close look for their minimalist approach to photography.

As noted in Walden Pond, Henry David Thoreau observed that in life we should “Simplify, Simplify.” What could be more simple than a pinhole? I am honestly just beginning to get it. I am used to carrying a huge camera bag with a couple of Canon DSLR’s, a couple of lenses and sundry other “stuff.”

With my pinhole I actually have to use what I have. My favorite is my Zero 2000 6x6 with a 24mm angle of view. A box. A hole and a tripod. I am reminded of how the legends worked using a single focal length and one film choice. Cartier-Breson worked with a taped up Leica and 35mm lens. He never developed a single roll of film or printed a photograph. He opted to do what he did best…photograph.

He was less obsessed than many and more talented than most. I was talking with my friend Chris Keeney once about how he tries to keep his pinhole site down to the simple things. Most sites get into equipment and film and techniques, while CK just talks pinhole.

I guess the reason I am talking about minimalism is a good friend and client of mine, Werner Feller, passed Sunday from complications of ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease. Werner fought this thing for 3 long years and we will miss him. Werner! You still owe me a beer!
And CK...we are going to have that scotch!

Take a nice long look at life. Enjoy the simple things. Have fun. Take time out to simplify your life. It can be fleeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment