Saturday, April 11, 2009

Inspiration


Even though I was raised in Philadelphia, I spent a lot of years in the mountains of Washington and Idaho. I consider myself a "mountain man." I mean I love the mountains. I just can't seem to forget them or get them out of my psyche.

So, living here in San Diego makes me miss them all the more. It is then no wonder that my architectural photographs have a mountain look to them. For example, this "mountain" of glass and sculpted "tree."
It's not the Sawtooth range, I leave that up to Fred Stillings whose incomparable work can be seen on his website and on Flickr, but it's all I have right now. You know, I like it. The city gives us a different perspective and opportunities to explore our own neighborhood.
As a writer, I know enough to write about what I know. As a photographer, I know enough to shoot what I know. That's the key element. Do what you know.
I was just re-reading Eric Renner's Pinhole Photography" book (4th Edition) and I am still stunned by the range and popularity of pinhole photography. I am even further amazed at how far we have come in pinholes. If I need inspiration, I either go walking at lunch or read good photography books (like Eric's) or go on Flickr and see the great pinholers like Fred, Delio and Paul. These guys are my inspiration. They make me work all that much harder to capture images that speak to the viewer. Sometimes, I wonder whether my work does but, in the end, what really matters is how it speaks to me.
This is a great chance for me to say thanks to all the guys whose work I admire; Paul, Delio, Fred, CK and all the others. They continue to be an inspiration to me.
I will have my Arches paper in this week and hope to have some Fuji transfers up by next week. The Fuji instant film really outshines the old Polaroid in so many ways; acutance, clarity, color balance and reciprocity.
Incidentally, if you haven't read Eric's book(s) I suggest you do. I put it on here for ideas for newbies and oldies alike. (Paul, I know. We are aging, huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment