Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's driving me nuts!

I received an e-mail from a VERY talented photographer acquaintance today. He is not good. He is VERY good.

We kind of chatted about how digital imaging is almost impossible to keep up with (dangling prepositions and all). It's like we are in this futuristic time warp where Andy Warhol's 15 minutes of fame has finally crept up on us all...well, more like pounced on us.

Richard Avedon died when he should have. The great photographers are having difficulty keeping up. A photograph should evoke an emotion aside from the "playing around" with images. It should be WOW beacuse it's real and not WOW because of what the photographer manipulated to get the image.

Back in the day (1972) I bought my first REALLY good Beseler 23CII enlarger for $195 bucks. It was a huge investment for me. But I produced some outstanding work on that thing (if I do say so).

Heck, I can do that on my computer now. The programs unfortunately, that I use cost me more than that enlarger! Then we have to put up with Canon and Nikon, for example, coming out with new cameras every 6 months. When is this going to stop?

Canon announced that their sales were off by over 21% this last year. Hello!

We can't keep doing this. There has to be a limit. I bought a G 10 "street camera" a few months back and Canon brought out their G 11 a month ago. This is so wrong.

When is the insanity going to end?

It's no wonder we are going back to film. The camera makers are shooting themselves in their corporate feet. I may just get rid of all my digital gear and go back to the good old days of film.

This is crazy!

P.S. Thanks, Fred

2 comments:

  1. I can't agree with you more. I can't believe I'd be a photographer if someone told me a quality camera was gonna cost me seven grand. Computers, software and digital cameras all have gotten out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, i pulled out the old 35mm because when it snowed here, we had no power to download all the images and i wasn't willing to miss the opportunity! back to basics...

    ReplyDelete